Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Peanut Butter and Chocolate: A Marriage made in Cookie Heaven.

Remember the old Reese's Peanut Butter cups television ad where the guy eating a chocolate bar bumps into the guy eating out of a jar of peanut butter and the chocolate bar ends up in the peanut butter? Watching the ad I always wondered who the hell walks around eating out of an open jar of peanut butter? Seriously, that's just gross. But I digress. The whole point of this and I imagine the whole point of the Reese's ad was that chocolate and peanut butter are an absolutely A-W-E-S-O-M-E COMBI (wait for it) N-A-T-I-O-N! Oh dear god, I think I've been watching too many episodes of "How I Met Your Mother".

Anyway, I was perusing the Food and Drink boards over on Pintrerst when I came across these tasty looking peanut butter chocolate chip blondies from Susannah's Kitchen. 

If you don't know what Pintrest is, (where have you been this last year, living under a rock? ) may I suggest you check it out. It's like a big online scrapbook of stuff. Here's the link to the recipe: Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Blondies. I was going to type the recipe out for you here, but I just finished doing a two hour workout at the gym and I have absolutely no energy or motivation left to type out ingredient amounts.Check out the recipe, try it and tell me how you like it.
 









Here are a few notes I took while making these bar cookies. 1. Don't overbake them. These cookies are best when a little underdone, the creaminess of the peanut butter really shines. If you overbake these blondies they'll be very dry and will crumble quicker than a zombie's face on "The Walking Dead". 2. I used crunchy peanut butter, but if you like smooth--go for it--to each his own. 3. I bumped up the chocolate. I added a 1/2 cup of chopped bittersweet chocolate as well as a 1/2 cup of salted peanuts to the batter. Why did I do this? H-E-L-L-O! Chocoholic here! I added the peanuts for extra texture. Fold these two ingredients in at the end of mixing. 4. Speaking of mixing, do not overmix the cookie batter. Blondies are just brownies without the addition of melted chocolate. When you add the flour mixture to the butter and egg mixture, you want to fold it in gently, just until the ingredients are combined and moistened.  Overmixing any cookie batter makes for a tough cookie. You can be a tough cookie, just don't serve one to Aunt Edna during afternoon tea-it won't be pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment